SEEDED SAVOURY CHEESY BISCUITS
We've created this vegetarian family recipe to share & spread our love for savoury baking, and show how to pack a punch with flavour, and add lots of veg!
Feel free to mix and match the spices to suit the veggies you are choosing. Serving 6-7, this is a perfect weekend treat the whole family will enjoy!
- 180g plain wholemeal flour
- 125g salted butter, cold and chopped into chunks
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 160 g red cheese e.g. Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, grated finely
- season with salt and pepper (optional)
- 60 g of finely grated sweet potato, butternut squash or pumpkin, with excess liquid squeezed out.
- 30 g of finely chopped kale, spinach, cauliflower or brocoli
- 3-4 tbsp of seeds, e.g. a mixture of poppy seeds, millet, sesame seeds, caraway seeds
In a large bowl, use your fingertips to break down the butter chunks and combine them with the flour and seasonings until you have the beginnings of a loose cookie dough. If you would prefer to use a food processor, pulse until you have reached the desired consistency.
Add in the cheese and the veg and begin to bring the dough together by kneading it gently inside the bowl.
Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and start to form it into a long sausage shape, about 2 inches across.
Pour your seeds of choice into a tray large enough to fit the saussage and roll to coat the outside of the saussage. Once caoted, place onto a piece of clingfilm and and twist the ends before popping into the fridge (or even better the freezer) for 30 minutes until firm.
Preheat your oven to 175°C and use a nice sharp knife to cut regularly sized rounds dough about 1.5cm thick. Place these onto a baking tray lined with parchment. This recipe should make between 10–12 depending on the size
Bake for around 12-18 minutes, until the tops of the cookies are nicely rounded and are starting to turn golden brown.
Once baked, cool on a rack and then store in an airtight container. These bad boys will last around 4-5 days if they dont get eaten before that!!
Like with everything we do, we want to make your life that bit easier, so feel free to chop and change the veggies you use as this is a great way to use up what's in the fridge!
GET 20% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER!
Join the Baby Club for FREE weaning help and advice.